Axion can pre-test potential new sources of polymer feedstocks before you invest time, effort and money in full scale production trials.
Our pilot-scale facility can duplicate a full scale process from raw material separation right through to injection moulding of finished polymer resin.
We offer a comprehensive laboratory testing and analysis service for polymer samples, using our fully equipped, advanced testing laboratories. A complete set of ISO-standard physical property tests are carried out on injection moulded test-pieces and sample plaques, which enables us to check the ‘in-use’ performance of the polymer melt during the moulding process.
We are also fully equipped to carry out quantitative compositional analysis of waste raw materials which have a high level of unknown, mixed plastic types. We can accurately measure the mass percentage of each individual component material using statistically sound methods. Our skilled staff can measure levels of surface dirt and other contamination in waste plastic samples and add-value to the analysis results with experience-based comment on the suitability of the supplied raw-materials as potential feedstocks to recycling and recovery processes.
Our polymer technologists can prepare material safety data sheets on your behalf. This service is becoming increasingly important as EU legislation of substances and materials is demanding more thorough and detailed specification of chemical preparations. REACH and ROHS regulations are prime examples of this increase in legal requirements to correctly describe polymer products being put on the market.
The range of polymer testing available includes:
- Polymer type identification by IR
- identify polymer types including PS, ABS, PC, PE, PP, PE/PP blends, PVC, PA, POM, PMMA, PU, EVA, SAN, etc
- identify composition of sample
- Sieve analysis
- determine particle size distribution
- Additive analysis by x-ray florescence – XRF
- determine the presence of heavy metal and halogen elements at ppm levels
- can be used to estimate content of Flame Retardant additives in plastic
- certain detectable metals are useful tracer elements of other additives
- Tensile testing
- strength of materials under tension
- Impact testing
- measures energy required to break sample
- Melt-flow index
- determines thermal melt properties
- Density analysis
- shows density distribution of mixed particulates
- Sample compounding
- determines suitability for extrusion and injection moulding
- Ash level in oven
- Level of inorganic filler in sample
- Manual sorting
- characterizes sample by material type where analytical techniques are unsuitable.
Download the Laboratory testing services brochure here.